As we celebrate Mother’s Day and all of the wonderful women in our lives, we started to reflect on National Park Units and how many celebrate the lives and contributions of women. There aren’t that many – we identified 9 National Park Units that are directly associated with women- but each of them are interesting and inspirational.
Note: in case you wondered, over 60 National Park Units are specifically dedicated to men not counting parks like Mount Rushmore National Monument or Whitman Mission National Historic Site (honoring both husband and wife).
National Park Units dedicated to Women
- Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument, Washington DC
- Clara Barton National Historic Site, Maryland
- Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site, New York
- First Ladies National Historic Site, Ohio
- Harriet Tubman National Historical Park, New York
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Historical Park, Maryland
- Maggie L Walker National Historic Site, Virginia
- Mary McLeod Bethune Council House National Historic Site, Washington DC
- Rosie the Riveter World War II Home Front National Historical Park, California
- Women’s Rights National Historical Park, New York